Monday, January 21, 2008

Feet and Relationships

I found myself thinking (surprise!) about relationships today.  Specifically, I was thinking about new relationships, friendships, or what have you.  Certainly, I try to put my "best foot forward," so to speak, when I am meeting someone for the first time.  I mean, let's face it: nobody is going to present all their flaws up front.  Flaws are simply not attractive, which is why I find myself filtering these out in a new relationship.  I put my best foot forward.

Naturally, I began thinking about my feet, and moreover, about my other foot.  If I always put my best foot forward, what happens to my worst foot?  I certainly can't walk with my best foot forward all the time.  Well, I guess I could try, but it would be some kind of awkward lock-step.  On the whole, I would not get anywhere and be very late for meetings (of which I never seem to run out).  Of course I can't walk with my best foot forward all the time, this is simply not how we walk.  We use one foot and then the other, alternating naturally between the good foot and the bad foot.  I'll admit that sometimes I skip or pretend that I'm dancing and actually lock-step, but I can't NOT alternate feet if I'm traveling by... foot.

Good foot.  Bad foot.  What does this, then, mean for my new relationship?  Well, I think it means that the natural walk is going to have to settle in at some point.  In addition, it would seem that the sooner this happens, the better.  While the good foot is certainly good (hence the name), it's only half of our wonderful walking apparatus, and only half of ourselves as a person.  If the new relationship is going to last, and if I am to be on time for YAM, I need to alternate using both the good foot and the bad foot.  If I keep using only one foot, I feel like I'm going to miss out on a lot, and ultimately not get to where I'm going, both in the physical world, and in the emotional one.

My apologies to those reading this who do not have the use of their feet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home