Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Self Improvement

Someone once told me that you can't learn to love anybody else until you learn to love yourself. Sometimes we don't like who we are, or who we are becoming, but we're always in control and you can always improve, if you wish. After travelling down this trail of thought for a while, I decided to do four things everyday. That's it, just four. Four things such that if I do nothing else in a given day, it will not have been wasted, becuase I have these four things crossed off my list.

Do Something I Would Like To Do
This could be as simple as reading a book or could be as involved as learning a new language. The way I see it, every day needs balance. You can learn and improve yourself all you want, but it could prove to be self-destructive if you don't relax and indulge your wants once in a while. This should be something that will make you feel good, maybe something new that you haven't tried before. It could really be anything, be creative! (It could even be "be creative.")

Do Something You Need To Do
We all have things that we put off. You know, those things that we've been meaning to do, but haven't done yet because we're too lazy or too tired or just keep forgetting... whatever the excuse is, pick something and do it. Get it done. Cross it off your list for good, you wont have to worry about it anymore. Mine for tomorrow is simply, "buy stamps." I need stamps. I keep forgetting to get them, but when I finally do so tomorrow, I will have stamps and it won't bother me anymore. Doesn't that feel nice?

Do Something For Someone Else
This one is kind of your typical, save-the-world-one-person-at-a-time deal. Honestly, though, I think many people find that volunteering, helping people out, just doing something nice for a friend or stranger makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Plus, as a bonus, you've done something nice for someone else who, in turn, feels equally fuzzy. That's kind of a double bonus. Two moments of fuzziness in one act. Think of how many people one person could affect if he or she did this every day. Just one little thing. We're all capable of doing one nice thing a day. Just think if we all did this, every day. It's not hard to imagine the world being a simply nicer place to be.

Do Something For Yourself
As much fun as it is to help others, you have to keep in mind that you deserve priority as well. Just because you can help others doesn't mean that you shouldn't help yourself. It is easy to get lost in the business of other people and lose track of who you really are. So for this one, do something just for yourself. Maybe go exercise, eat a salad, scarf some cake... do whatever makes you your own person. Maybe you like to draw, play video games, or just vegetate. Pick something and indulge.

These don't have to be groundbreaking ideas. Simple things will suffice, and I think anyone can handle doing four things in twenty four hours. That's one simple thing every six hours. I'd like to think that in six hours I can get at least one thing done. I have no idea how practical this is, but I'm going to give it a shot, I'll let you know how it turns out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home